Saturday, April 3, 2010

First attempts at Tig Welding

I've had roughly 3 hrs of tig welding experience with no instructional help in high-school, from there I am now here =D, with my own tig welder.  After a few weeks of practice I'm beginning to get the fundamentals down and I can actually begin to make stuff within the next few weeks.
I started off with steel, really thin 22gauge.  Wish I had thicker stuff as burning through this was too easy.  Not trying to do anything here other than lay a decent bead.
I then attempted to weld two aluminum pipes together, didn't go so well so I just practiced laying down some more beads in a straight line.  The bottom one is fairly sexy.  No I didn't clean the aluminum.... I won't be using this scrap stuff so no point other than making it easier to weld.

New two pictures are of upcoming projects:  First one is going to eventually be my new hot-pipe set up which will have less bends and either be one or two pieces instead of three, still unsure.  The second pictures is a good friend's exhaust beginning to be made.  Stainless without back purging = ugly.  So I'm waiting on some Solar B Flux.
And the last picture is Muffler Man.  Made him at work from a Tundra muffler and a mig welder.  Looks pretty good up there too.

No comments: